|Image via Avaaz.org|
Britain’s far-right extremists and the media that echoes their hate are using the Brexit vote as proof that half the country agrees with their racism -- and it’s causing a terrifying rise in harassment across the country.Great news! Over 93,000 of us have joined, sign and share now -- let’s get to 100,000 and demand editors that fan hate are removed.
>> Join the call to show them that the United Kingdom still values love over hate <<
“No More Polish Vermin" -- that's what was posted through the letterboxes of many Polish families this weekend. Hundreds of racist incidents have been reported, and there is one way we can help stop them spreading.
Far-right radicals and neo-nazis have been emboldened by reckless media that spread hateful headlines. Now these violent extremists feel that over half the country is behind them, and they’re taking their hate to the streets. Whichever way we voted in the referendum, we can all reject this racism, by demanding an end to hysterical and misleading headlines that whip up xenophobia.
If enough of us call for it, we can make it untenable for newspapers like the Daily Mail and The Sun to fan the flames of hate, and editors will know their jobs depend on responsible journalism.
These media outlets have mainstreamed racism and hate in the UK. Because of their irresponsible coverage the racist minority in the UK now feels emboldened. It’s why in the days since the referendum result, there’s been a 57% rise in reports of hate crimes. The media started this, and now they can end it by holding those responsible to account, and reminding the country that racism has no popular place here.
We are less divided than we imagine, the UK is still a place that values community, connection, and humanity.
With hope for healing,
On behalf of Iain, Emma, Lisa, Antonia, Melanie, Luis and the rest of the Avaaz team
PS. Have you, or someone you know been a victim of racism? Report it on Facebook here or Twitter here.
- After a campaign scarred by bigotry, it’s become OK to be racist in Britain (The Guardian)
- Racist attacks after brexit soar as hate crimes reported to police increase by 57% (Huffington Post)
- #PostRefRacism: This catalogue of racist abuse following Brexit is terrifying (Metro)
- Brexit: Wave of hate crime and racial abuse reported after EU referendum (The Independent)
- Spate of racist attacks blamed on Brexit vote (The Telegraph)
- Wave of Racist, Xenophobic Incidents After Brexit Vote Has U.K. Worried (Slate)
More Brexit Related Stories: